2013 © www.stpaulsalbrightsville.org
The historical records of Carbon County mention the presence of missionary activity in Kidder Township sometime around the year 1847. It may be surmised that this activity led to the organization of a congregation which erected the present church in 1882. We are fortunate to still have the resolution which was adopted by the members on April 7, 1882. It reads as follows:
During the first one hundred years St. Paul’s was serve either by supply pastors or pastors from neighboring congregations. Some of the Lutheran churches which shared their ministry with St. Paul’s were St. John’s, Jim Thorpe; St. Paul’s, White Haven and Christ, Christmans. From the church records certain important events have been gleaned, together with some small details of historical interest.
The Reverend W.C. Lauer received the deed to the church property in 1894 from William Getz. In 1903 a church organ was purchased for the outstanding sum of $40.16. The first travel allowance for the pastor was granted in the form of a salary increase in 1908 so he could hire a team of horses in order that the members of the congregation would not have to take him around the parish.
Pastors who served at St. Paul’s the first hundred years
1847 - The Rev. J. F. Hornberger
1879 - 1881 - The Rev. Strauss
1887 - The Rev. G. G Kunkel
1890 - The Rev. S.B. Stupp
1891 - The Rev. E.F. Ritter
1892 - The Rev. J. F Kruder
The Rev. J. Hilpot
1893 - 1897 - The Rev. A. G. L. Breisey
1903 - 1908 - The Rev. W. C. Lauer
1911 - 1912 - The Rev. W. C. Lauer
1915 - The Rev. Krause
1917 - The Rev. Kramlich
The Rev. Offerman
1919 - 1954 - The Rev. William Geiger
1956 - 1957 - The Rev. G. Jacoby
1958 - 1963 - The Rev. Hagen Staak
1964 - 1965 - The Rev. O. Schlessman
1966 - The Rev. Deibert
1970 - The Rev. Gramm Rinehart
1970 - 1978 - The Rev. John Warren
1979 - 1980 - The Rev. Thomas Keener
1980 - 1981 - The Rev. Edward Fernandez
1982 - The Rev. William C. Leopold
ELCA Confession of Faith
What we believe in the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America
This church confesses the Triune God, Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.
This church confesses Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior and the Gospel as the power of God for the salvation of all who believe
Jesus Christ is the Word of God incarnate, through whom everything was made and through whose life, death, and resurrection God fashions a new creation.
The proclamation of God's message to us as both Law and Gospel is the Word of God, revealing judgment and mercy through word and deed, beginning with the Word in creation, continuing in the history of Israel, and centering in all its fullness in the person and work of Jesus Christ.
The canonical Scriptures of the Old and New Testaments are the written Word of God. Inspired by God's Spirit speaking through their authors, they record and announce God's revelation centering in Jesus Christ. Through them God's Spirit speaks to us to create and sustain Christian faith and fellowship for service in the world.
This church accepts the canonical Scriptures of the Old and New Testaments as the inspired Word of God and the authoritative source and norm of its proclamation, faith, and life.
This church accepts the Apostles', Nicene, and Athanasian Creeds as true declarations of the faith of this church.
This church accepts the Unaltered Augsburg Confession as a true witness to the Gospel, acknowledging as one with it In faith and doctrine all churches that likewise accept the teachings of the Unaltered Augsburg Confession.
This church accepts the other confessional writings in the Book of Concord, namely, the Apology of the Augsburg Confession, the Smalcald Articles and the Treatise, the Small Catechism, the Large Catechism, and the Formula of Concord, as further valid interpretations of the faith of the Church.
This church confesses the Gospel, recorded in the Holy Scriptures and confessed in the ecumenical creeds and Lutheran confessional writings, as the power of God to create and sustain the Church for God's mission in the world.
The Confession of Faith is published in the Constitution of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America.
We the members of St. Paul Evangelical Lutheran Church have resolved to build a small church near Albrightsville for our use. As the county is thinly inhabited the right of burying in the graveyard belonging to the congregation is granted to members of other churches that help in the building and sustaining of St. Paul with the privilege or occupying the church on funeral occasions. The minister of this church officiating as desired. Otherwise, and at all other times the pastor of this church is to occupy the pulpit and perform all official acts. Therefore, we the signees pledge ourselves to pay the amount assigned to our name.